Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Indian National Anthem

Every time I have heard the Indian National Anthem, I have felt a chill down my spine. It erupts from a sudden gush of pride, belonging, awakening and may be a lot more. How many of us can proudly claim that they know the anthem word to word? How many of us don't observe that hint of awkwardness to stand up when the national anthem is heard nearby.

I still believe that the current generation who are in their 20s and beyond are doing marginally better than the kids. Is the pride for the country realised by all? Do they understand the Tiranga, the national anthem and our national heroes? Do you? I was not even surprised when a 10 year old kid exclaimed that the actor from "Lage raho Munna Bhai" was on the Indian 100 Rs. note. This incident is not an exaggeration but an awakening. May be its time each of us reflect on what this means to the generations to come. If we don't follow and teach, then some things will be lost forever. Jana gana mana.. should not be among those!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree in principle.

Also consider what is a country? Is it the land, or the group of people calling themselves countrymen? Are we being proud of land or of fellow countrymen?

If we are proud of land, that choice was not presented to us, that was a no-brainer. If we are proud of our fellows why do we tolerate such rampant corruption and malpractices woven into the fabric of country? How can you be proud of 60% population under poverty line... etc

I mean, doing something (e.g. vote/improve livelihoods) is much better than standing up for national anthem

Dips said...

you are right... I myself after leaving school just forgot 'jana gana mana'....but now living outside the country, it brings me near to my country...I again learned 'jana gana mana' thanks to youtube, now my 2 yr old daughter sings it well, even my son loves it.